Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

My Rescuer

Sooooo....I want my blog to be super cute...and I'm working on it, but I've been swamped with work lately and haven't had much time. I promise I will be improving it this weekend!! Or at least will try!

I had to post today because I feel like God has been bringing a common theme into my heart for the past few weeks and it's about time I shared it. Hopefully it will encourage you today.

God is our Rescuer.

There it is. Plain and simple. This is a truth that you probably know and would say, "Um yeah of course He is."

Side note: The word rescue inevitably makes me think of the show Rescue 911. I used to watch it when I was younger and LOVED it! Anyways, back on track.

Here's where it started. Last Saturday I read Jeremiah 1. (Pastor Scott is reading through Jeremiah while he is away and challenged us to do the same.)

The opening of the chapter is beautiful and can't be overlooked. The first message God gives to Jeremiah in verse 5 is:
"I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb. Before you were born I set you apart and appointed you as my prophet to the nations"

How special and encouraging is that! God knew Jeremiah would be insecure so He affirmed him first before He asked anything of him. What a loving God we serve. We used this verse with our preschoolers to teach them how much God loves them and the same applies to you, but that's another post for another day :-)

The first thing Jeremiah does though is give excuses. He says that he is too young and can't speak for God. It's a little encouraging to know that other people are just as insecure as we are right? ;-)

Here's the part that caught me a little off guard though. To encourage Jeremiah, the Lord said, "...do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you."

God doesn't say, "everything's gonna be all right Jerry. I'm not going to let anything bad happen to you."  He doesn't say, "I will keep you from all harm." 

No. He says, "I will rescue you."

In other words, you're going to struggle and you're going to face harm, but I will rescue you from it.

To give God the title of RESCUER, we are implying that we need rescued.

This life is hard and people face all types of hardships. But when you are a child of God, His promise to you is that he is with you and will rescue you.

After reading this passage, the very next day in church we sang the song, Rescue.

"I called, you answered and you came to my rescue and I wanna be where you are."

God has brought that word up a million times over the last week in my heart. What do you need rescued from today?

Is it a job situation? A bad relationship? A financial crisis? A crisis of faith? Maybe you need rescued from yourself. The negative thoughts just take over all the time.

If I can give you one truth to take away today it's this: You will face trouble in this world, but you have a God in heaven who is with you and will rescue every time. All you have to do is ask Him.

Happy Thursday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment